Big Lottery Fund grant for better community facilities in Plaistow
News release 22 March 2011
Memorial Community Church has been awarded a grant of £76,490 from the Big Lottery Fund Reaching Communities programme. This is to improve the community facilities at the Welcome Centre at the back of the building, so new activities can take place there.
At the moment the lack of heating and really old toilets mean that the available space – which includes a large meeting room with kitchen and outdoor space, a crèche, and an IT suite equipped with eight computers - are not used nearly as much as they could be. New heating and toilets will mean there’ll be a much warmer welcome for everyone.
The church has also been given a grant of £50,000 from City Bridge Trust towards making this part of the building more welcoming to all, including wheelchair users, with a ramp, new doorways and an accessible toilet.
People who meet in the Memorial building at the moment include the Bridges project for homeless people, the We Are Family group for young parents run by local charity Alternatives, the Plus Centre IT training on a Saturday evening and a weekly drop-in at the Welcome Centre on Thursdays.
Once the building improvements are carried out this summer, the plan is to work together with these and other groups to launch new activities including training in computer skills, exercise classes and healthy eating sessions. The grant from the Big Lottery Fund also pays for the part-time salary of a member of staff to manage the project and includes money to train new exercise instructors.
Rev Mark Janes the minister of the church, says, “the people who built the church in the 1920s built it big enough not just for Sunday worship but for all kinds of educational and social activities as well. Bringing the facilities up to modern standards will mean it can be used for fun and useful things that bring people together and improve the quality of life for local people in our neighbourhood. ”
The church has also been awarded other grants to repair the bell tower and restore the Memorial Bells. If they manage to raise all the rest of the funds they need, it’s going to be a busy year.
For more information please ring 020 7474 6603, email Philippa King, development manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website www.memorialcc.org
Other News Stories
- Wednesday 19th March 2014The Moscow Project: New exhibition launches in Plaistow
- Monday 9th December 2013Memorial Community Church, Plaistow represented at Westminster Abbey service for the National Church
- Monday 7th October 2013New Art Gallery in Plaistow
- Monday 16th September 2013Work begins to make Plaistow Centre more welcoming
- Monday 24th June 2013Memorial Community Church on BBC Radio London
- Monday 24th June 2013Third phase of major repairs ready to start
- Monday 24th June 2013Memorial Bells help launch HLF Fund
- Thursday 25th April 201324 April 2013 Royal Visit to Memorial Community Church
- Wednesday 17th April 2013Third Repair Grant for Memorial Community Church
- Wednesday 11th July 2012Ride and Stride 2012